News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

What opinion do you have on the Cloud?

handy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: What opinion do you have on the Cloud?

Post by handy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:17 pm

Don't like it. Don't trust it.

I've finally got myself a permanent residence again & I'll have a "proper" internet connection happening here within the next fortnight I expect (I'm at their mercy).

In that regard, I've already got a modem/router that I'll make a very low power consumption NAS to attach to it. That will be my cloud (with its data backed up multiple times - I don't use my phone on the internet & I have 4TB notebook drives for when I need mobility, & they'll be another backup - they also carry a copy of my Clonezilla images).

If I loose the data due to theft, fire, flood, storm, that's OK, I can live with that. For me to actually loose the lot, it would really have to be the total devastation fire, flood type of thing.
Last edited by handy on Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clevo N'book (2014): P150SM-A
CPU: i7-4810MQ (Haswell) Speed: 2800/3800 MHz
RAM: 16 GiB 1600 MHz DDR3
GPU-1: i915
GPU-2: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 880M] vRAM: 8GB 2500 Mhz DDR5
Storage: TOSHIBA 931.51 GiB. HGST 931.51 GiB. Crucial 223.57 GiB (M.2 SSD)

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by skidoo » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:18 pm

manyroads wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:58 am
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but...

[...]
You may worry and complain as much as you wish, but this war is long over.
9_9

figueroa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by figueroa » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:26 pm

To demystify, "the cloud" is nothing more than non-local network resources. It could be applications, storage, shared files, and the like. "The cloud" is a marketing term used to obfuscate something simple to seem to give it value beyond the apparent tangible product.

You can use such non-local network services wisely, or blindly, or even stupidly trusting your privacy, security, and the safety of your personal or critical business files. When products are free, it means that you are the product and you are providing something valuable in exchange for what appears to be cool free stuff.

I don't trust "the cloud" and try to use it wisely. ALL of my personal files and current OS backups fit on a 128 GB USB flash drive. First, that's too much data to move over the Internet at the speeds available to me. My sneaker-net consists of three of those USB 3.0 flash drives. One goes on my key ring, the other in my car, and the last at an undisclosed off-site location, as encrypted archives. The "car" and "off-site" copies are rotated weekly.

I use shell scripts and crontab to automate the creation of nightly and weekly backups, and a calendar reminder to refresh my flash drive content. I don't think Google, or the NSA and read the encrypted files on my sneaker-net backup copies.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

figueroa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by figueroa » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:27 pm

handy wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:17 pm
If I loose the data due to theft, fire, flood, storm, that's OK, I can live with that. For me to actually loose the lot, it would really have to be the total devastation fire, flood type of thing.
So, total devastation happens with great regularity. You should do something about it. That doesn't necessarily mean the cloud.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

paulfsams
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by paulfsams » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:33 pm

I was reluctant to use cloud/offsite storage initially. I now use cloud/offsite storage. But, I also as others do use external drives, and I would assume others use more than one external drive in case an external drive fails, and I have had that happen. If you do not trust the cloud/offline storage, then perhaps you shouldn't. It is your right to make that choice. I think the views others have expressed, both pro and con shows that people have already made their choices. We all have our reasons and opinions. I made the choice to use offsite storage when I had a natural disaster left me wondering if all of my data was lost. I was lucky, I was able to retrieve it. It convinced me that I also needed offsite storage. Unexpected events can and do happen. Each person can decide how they will prepare for it.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:37 pm

chrispop99 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:53 am
It doesn't matter how cheap HDD or other media becomes, a burglary or fire at your house, a freak weather event, or a major electrical problem may still mean you lose everything.

My most important data is stored on a separate drive on my main machine, and my Dropbox folder is on that disk.

I can't imagine many folk have anything that is so private that they wouldn't put it on a reputable cloud service; if they didn't, perhaps they shouldn't have it in the first place?

Chris
I have scans of important legal documents, plus many other documents related to the ongoing sale of a small house we own, and many of these contain my and/or my wife's signature which, given enough samples, could be used by a forger in an identity theft scam. You're saying I shouldn't have these, or that I can trust some "cloud" company to keep them safe from black-hat hackers (and from their own employees and contracrors) when almost every day I read about security breaches and leaks, or about vulnerabilities in CPUs or routers that can potentially allow those breaches?

Re: disaster recovery, if my house gets destroyed by an earthquake or typhoon, my computer data is the least of my worries. My personal threat model is equipment failure or theft, and with six dogs in the house I'm not all that worried about the latter. As to the former I have redundant backups to an internal drive as well as an external one, both encrypted.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:14 pm

I do not think anyone is saying you should do this or you should do that. Circumstances are different.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

tascoast
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tascoast » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:55 pm

Without a dramatic reduction in the energy required to both maintain cloud services and keep them sufficiently cool, a significant proportion of the global power generation capacity will increasingly service this purpose. It is simply unsustainable.

I understand the convenience of access and seamless backup of personal data but a fair proportion of this data is probably destined as junk in the long run. Equally, the really important data, say family photos etc, is probably best stored on other media and distributed geographically (ie between families). If we appreciated the wastefulness of energy and questions of sustainability, as we are slowly beginning to do with other resources, we might modify our habits and put more effort into alternatives that are manageable long term.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX17/MX-16/antiX17/Mint 19

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Post by Eadwine Rose » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:57 am

As someone who had her hiney saved once by backing up to the cloud not long after she started it.. my opinion is: love it.
MX-18.3_x64 May 26 2019 * 4.19.0-5-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 390.116 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy5030

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by KBD » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:08 pm

tascoast wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:55 pm
Without a dramatic reduction in the energy required to both maintain cloud services and keep them sufficiently cool, a significant proportion of the global power generation capacity will increasingly service this purpose. It is simply unsustainable.

I understand the convenience of access and seamless backup of personal data but a fair proportion of this data is probably destined as junk in the long run. Equally, the really important data, say family photos etc, is probably best stored on other media and distributed geographically (ie between families). If we appreciated the wastefulness of energy and questions of sustainability, as we are slowly beginning to do with other resources, we might modify our habits and put more effort into alternatives that are manageable long term.
Aren't servers getting smaller, requiring less power over time? I expect that trend will continue.

Return to “Chat”