News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

What Linux Needs To Do To Reach The Masses.

Artim
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: What Linux Needs To Do To Reach The Masses.

Post by Artim » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:02 am

I'm kinda like Malspa as far as this goes: Why do we need to appeal to "the masses" anyway? I use Linux to keep older hardware going strong, and I'm not a gamer like most computer users my age. I used to be a "Linux evangelist," always looking for opportunities to "convert" my friends, family, and schoolmates to Linux. But most don't feel any need to change their OS, and until they do, my efforts fell flat and I was dismissed as some kinda geek (which I'm totally not!).

But:

When their computers won't keep up with the high requirements of Win10 and/or they can't afford a new computer, then a few are willing to listen, and I give them a few Live DVDs or USBs to try out and see if one might suit them.

But really, out of all the people I've shared desktop Linux with, only one is still using it, even on brand new high-end superduper hardware. Probably because he's not a gamer and just uses it for schoolwork and web surfing.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:32 am

One more to add to the list: automatic scaling. Windows 10 detects your hardware including native monitor resolution and scales itself accordingly so fonts and icons are easily visible. Every Linux DE requires that the user manually set scaling.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by manyroads » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:50 am

The basic tone of this discussion reminds me of home owners. A few do their own repairs (like me), but most hire the work out (Apple/Win). :eek: :p
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Testing: antiX19

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:52 am

Artim wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:02 am
I'm kinda like Malspa as far as this goes: Why do we need to appeal to "the masses" anyway?
The higher the Linux market share in the end-user desktop and laptop realm the more likely it is that app developers will make Linux versions. People keep demanding an office suite that's fully compatible with Microsoft Office. How about actual MS Office for Linux? Many people keep a dual-boot solution due to certain games and apps that won't work in wine. What if there were native Linux versions of them? What if $YEAR was finally the Year of the Linux Desktop? What if computer manufacturers stopped making machines that were designed with only Windows in mind so you could painlessly run whichever OS you wanted on them, or choose which OS came preinstalled on it with no more having to dual-boot to be able to do whatever you wanted to on your computer? What if (dare I say it) Windows went more or less bye-bye and Linux, which is open source, became the predominate OS?
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Post by Eadwine Rose » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:57 am

manyroads wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:50 am
The basic tone of this discussion reminds me of home owners. A few do their own repairs (like me), but most hire the work out (Apple/Win). :eek: :p
I am glad to be able to apply both worlds to the situation. ;)

Both lin and win and DIY and DNY person haha.

But Linux will never be reaching the masses.. they're simply too late, they should have done that back when Windows was still tiny.

That is why Windows is so powerful: the money behind it, it's big and very well known, it supports pretty much everything that is new, and there is only ONE windows and it's linear.. you just pay more to get a few more features in the release (home, pro, etc).

Catching up to that is not going to happen because there are too many Linux varieties out there (who aren't willing to work together to boot) and too little resources.
MX-18.3_x64 May 26 2019 * 4.19.0-5-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 390.116 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy5030

handy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by handy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:04 am

G**gle did it with android, due to the world's smart phone addiction.
Clevo N'book (2014): P150SM-A
CPU: i7-4810MQ (Haswell) Speed: 2800/3800 MHz
RAM: 16 GiB 1600 MHz DDR3
GPU-1: i915
GPU-2: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 880M] vRAM: 8GB 2500 Mhz DDR5
Storage: TOSHIBA 931.51 GiB. HGST 931.51 GiB. Crucial 223.57 GiB (M.2 SSD)

j2mcgreg
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by j2mcgreg » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:23 am

For all intents and purposes, Microsoft is a monopoly and it will take a major breech that is undeniably attributable to a Microsoft failing and / or a malware attack that renders a global swath of PCs unusable with a lengthy period of time (like Boeing's problem with it's new 737) to break their stranglehold on the market.
HP ProBook 450 G5; CPU Intel i5; 500GB HDD; Intel UHD 620 Graphics; 8 GB Ram

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:27 am

Eadwine Rose wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:57 am
But Linux will never be reaching the masses.. they're simply too late, they should have done that back when Windows was still tiny.
Linux was terminal-only until XFree86 came out in May 1992, and even then XFree's GUI was quite primitive compared to even Windows 3.0 which came out almost exactly two years prior. XFree86 was just an open-source clone of X11 for Windows which dated from 1987, and that's what XFree looked like. So Windows has always had the lead over Linux. Linux was originally just a (command-line) open source clone of Unix back when the masses were still struggling to get their heads around DOS. (In fact, in those days the actual masses weren't really interested in using home computers at all. PCs were mainly for hobbyists, nerds, niche gamers and businesses.) Just because someone's been ahead of you for most of a marathon race doesn't mean you can't still pass them though.

komer
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by komer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:30 am

IMO, it's a chicken/egg situation. If there were more people on Linux, support (both hardware and software) would be better - and vice versa.

I don't think "Linux" has to DO anything. I think Linux is mature enough. It will never be what Windows or MacOS are. There's no "one distro fits all" situation. I don't think it should be. That's the beauty of opensource and GPL licensing. Forking and merging projects are at the core of it.

But what can be done is - "we" could change education system. If kids were acquainted with Linux at early age, as well trough whole education... things would be better. Linux should be presented as valid alternative. We shouldn't teach "using windows" in schools. It should be "using computer", OS/distro agnostic. The same goes with office packages. The basic stuff kids learn in school (before coledge/university) are all the same in Linux/Windows, MS/Libre office... So why don't we put emphasis on FOSS side of the spectrum... I think that would be wise to do that.

Someone above mentioned capitalism. I don't think he meant it in political connotation. I personally don't care about politics, so I will never go there. But it is about money! Microsoft has means (mostly money) to persuade schools/governments to use their products. Somewhat unrelated (but bare with me) is this situation. In my country at least (Croatia, EU), McDonald's has a lot of restaurants with playgrounds for children. Also, they offer some meal packages (I don't know their names because i'm not eating that ssss...stuff;-) with little toys inside; they organize children's birthdays.... and so on. The goal there is to hook people to McDonald's food as they are still young. Microsoft is doing the same with their products. In my country everyone in educational system (both: students and professors) has free access to some Microsoft services. Including free OS. I think that has a lot to do with Linux not being widely spread.

Okay.... it's a complex topic. But those were my 2 cents :-)
--komer

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by dreamer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:41 am

handy wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:04 am
G**gle did it with android, due to the world's smart phone addiction.
Has anyone wondered why Android apk packages are small compared to Flatpaks and Snaps? I have.

Maybe Google solved the problem with sandboxed apps without using a lot of data?

I think Flatpaks and Snaps make Linux look inferior on a technical level and that's not good. I'm not saying Flatpak and Snap are bad per se, just that they make Linux look bad.

Return to “Chat”