News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Interesting

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Interesting

Post by turtlebay777 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:04 pm

Mods - Please may I be excused this one advert but it is of interest to the whole community as an example of Linux v Windows.

https://thiswentviral.net/make-your-computer-like-new/
A clever new device is saving people hundreds (even thousands) and the big computer companies aren't happy about it!
Hilarious in my opinion.

Mod note: changed code to an actual link.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: Interesting

Post by JayM » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:12 pm

It's basically just Linux on a USB stick. Some people report not even getting a real USB stick, just a plastic replica of one. It's a scam.
https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/xtra-pc-1/
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by turtlebay777 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:15 pm

Yes, Linux on a stick, but hardly a scam since it is pitched at those who wouldn't normally consider switching to Linux and /or wouldn't know where to start downloading and making such a device, iethe general public.

The 'answer' by mpuckette is also a load of rubbish which is obviously written to trash a perfectly good system. Why would anyone need to convert existing files to a special format so that Linux can access them?

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:57 am

Per the headline
Computer Companies Hate This Product, Which Makes Your Computer Like New In 10 Seconds
when as we all know, it takes longer than 10 seconds to boot Linux from a USB stick on an old computer. It takes longer than that to boot either MX or antiX that's been installed on my netbook with an SSD in it. And what about people that have booting issues?

They charge ₤28 (US $34) for a $5 USB stick with Linux on it and don't give you any information about what you'll actually get for your money. Most distros' GPL and other open-source licenses say you can sell the distro on media at a reasonable price to cover your cost of providing the boot media, shipping, etc. plus a small profit. I wouldn't consider a 300% markup reasonable at all. It probably violates the licensing terms of whatever distro it is. And no where in the ad does it actually tell you what you're getting for the money, just a bunch of hype and sales pitches. For example,
So instead of buying a new laptop or computer, you should take a look at this new device that has been recently launched.
Since when is Linux on a live USB thumbdrive a "new device"? That's purely a lie.

It's a scam. You can tell just by their hype: "Computer companies hate this product." It's like those ads that say you can lose 100 pounds and cure diabetes, cancer, bad breath and scaly elbows with this one simple trick that doctors don't want you to know. It's snake oil that'll end up giving Linux a bad name. It's designed to scam computer users who don't know anything. They may as well be selling you a copper bracelet and some crystals. And since some people report receiving just a piece of plastic that looks like a USB stick but with no flash memory in it or an actual USB connector, and some don't ever receive anything at all, I'd say it's a fly-by-night outfit pushing an illegal scam.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

jj1j1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jj1j1 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:14 am

True freedom is never asking the question; Am I free?

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by turtlebay777 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:45 am

But the point JayM keeps ignoring is that he and we know about Linux and know how to download and install it but this product and device are aimed at those who think there are only one or at most two operating systems in the world and don't know that Linux exists.

I presume JayM, you also claim that all those on Distrowatch offering Linux on a stick for a price are all scammers too? https://distrowatch.com/

Mod note: colors removed to keep up readability, forum users please stick to forum default only, thank you.

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by turtlebay777 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:53 am

Mod note: colors removed to keep up readability, forum users please stick to forum default only, thank you.
What is this forum now, Big Brother 2019?
You will only do what Big Brother says and you will NOT use any of the features provided by the guys who programmed the forum.

What's up fellow, got a giant hangover and need to make as much of a nuisance as you can as a result?

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Post by Eadwine Rose » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:57 am

Addressing people normally when you have a complaint with forum staff helps a lot.
MX-18.3_x64 May 26 2019 * 4.19.0-5-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 390.116 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy5030

deanr72
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by deanr72 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:07 am

Looks like a fake ad to me.

I can only hope that in the end it turns out to be some kind of positive advert for Linux rather than having the adverse effect. Who knows, some people with slightly more knowledge might go ahead and create their own Live USBs.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:10 am

turtlebay777 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:45 am
But the point JayM keeps ignoring is that he and we know about Linux and know how to download and install it but this product and device are aimed at those who think there are only one or at most two operating systems in the world and don't know that Linux exists.

I presume JayM, you also claim that all those on Distrowatch offering Linux on a stick for a price are all scammers too? https://distrowatch.com/

That's not what I said at all. I said that this is a scam because they're not advertising it as Linux on a USB stick, they're touting it as some kind of Brand New Technological Breakthrough Miracle Device that speeds up your computer and makes it run like new again just by plugging it in and rebooting. They're dishonest right from the get-go, unlike honest vendors of linux distros on installation media. You consistently ignore that fact. You sound like someone who's bought one and are trying to defend it to make yourself feel better about having been conned and ripped off.

Return to “Chat”