News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

OpenBox Re-spin

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: OpenBox Re-spin

Post by manyroads » Wed May 01, 2019 4:28 pm

Pieces like communication (network) seems sporadic and unpredictable with the repo versions of OB.

As an aside, I m becoming something of a fan of iceWm... after I add a few tweaks and a decent set of themes and icons. Fluxbox themes is a bit too 'retro', for me (clunky looking). jwm is not bad but seems a bit unstable, especially with networking from Virtualbox. Actually antiX in general seems not to like VirtualBox very much. I can make it work but getting privs to work so that Guest Additions installs and allows 'seamless' shared file access is much harder than it ought to be.

I have not tried installing OB on antiX yet...
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Testing: antiX19

anticapitalista
Developer

Post by anticapitalista » Wed May 01, 2019 4:51 pm

manyroads wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:28 pm
Actually antiX in general seems not to like VirtualBox very much. I can make it work but getting privs to work so that Guest Additions installs and allows 'seamless' shared file access is much harder than it ought to be.

You must use VB 6 version.
Also, do remember that this antiX version is an alpha release and will have lots of issues.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Post by dolphin_oracle » Wed May 01, 2019 5:50 pm

manyroads wrote:
Pieces like communication (network) seems sporadic and unpredictable with the repo versions of OB.

As an aside, I m becoming something of a fan of iceWm... after I add a few tweaks and a decent set of themes and icons. Fluxbox themes is a bit too 'retro', for me (clunky looking). jwm is not bad but seems a bit unstable, especially with networking from Virtualbox. Actually antiX in general seems not to like VirtualBox very much. I can make it work but getting privs to work so that Guest Additions installs and allows 'seamless' shared file access is much harder than it ought to be.

add your user to the "vboxsf" user group (login/logout) to use shared file access
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18.3
lenovo s21e - antiX-19 beta 2 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Post by Jerry3904 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:24 pm

Easiest with User Manager
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by manyroads » Wed May 01, 2019 7:43 pm

anticapitalista wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:51 pm
[...]
You must use VB 6 version.
Also, do remember that this antiX version is an alpha release and will have lots of issues.
I will make certain that v 6 is what is installed... I think it is actually defaulting to a version 5.whatever

It's not a problem though. I'm awaiting the next release for further tests. ;)
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by manyroads » Wed May 01, 2019 7:48 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:50 pm
add your user to the "vboxsf" user group (login/logout) to use shared file access
Did that. I get a different problem when I miss on that error/setting. The version I have works (sort of), I simply need to do everything using the root verison of SpaceFM. Access from non-root to the shared drive is not happy unless its from root. I do think it may have something to do with the version 5 vs. 6 of VB issue mentioned by @anticapitalista. I'll test that specifically in the next iteration.
Pax vobiscum,

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Post by dolphin_oracle » Wed May 01, 2019 8:04 pm

manyroads wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:48 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:50 pm
Did that. I get a different problem when I miss on that error/setting. The version I have works (sort of), I simply need to do everything using the root verison of SpaceFM. Access from non-root to the shared drive is not happy unless its from root. I do think it may have something to do with the version 5 vs. 6 of VB issue mentioned by @anticapitalista. I'll test that specifically in the next iteration.
FWIW I'm using VB 5.2.24 with the latest antiX alpha 19a1 as a guest (VB 6 guest additions preinstalled) and not having any problems with shared folder access, either reading or writing.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18.3
lenovo s21e - antiX-19 beta 2 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by manyroads » Wed May 01, 2019 9:14 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:04 pm
FWIW I'm using VB 5.2.24 with the latest antiX alpha 19a1 as a guest (VB 6 guest additions preinstalled) and not having any problems with shared folder access, either reading or writing.
When I get home (I have a 2000 mile drive this weekend)... I'll give things another try. I have been having fun with the new antiX and learned a LOT! I will keep at things. I look forward to the journey... (in MX/antiX) as well as on the road. ;)
Pax vobiscum,

Head_on_a_Stick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Head_on_a_Stick » Thu May 02, 2019 3:15 pm

manyroads wrote:
I don't understand, openbox doesn't have anything to do with networking, can you be more specific?

Also, if this is to be used as a respin then how are users supposed to update openbox if it has been installed from source?

The openbox project is not being developed any more but new vulnerabilities could yet be discovered in the code.
"Direct action is the logical, consistent method of anarchism." — Emma Goldman

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by manyroads » Fri May 03, 2019 7:02 am

Actually it is others who have told me the current version does not communicate. I have no problem with the issue. You'll find mention of the problem somewhere in this stream.

As for the update issue... I had not thought any of that through since this was being done for me and I was sharing what I'd done thus far. I certainly agree with yoour point about updates and usability. What I have done in the past is share my final scripts and let people do with them as they will. In that sense my work is more a 'working proof of concept' rather than a respin.

As for OB being abandoned or 'functionally stabilized', I was not aware. That actually seems reason enough to move on to another wm (like iceWM which is still alive, so far as I can tell.).
Pax vobiscum,

Return to “Community Submissions”