Welcome!

The kernel problem with recent updates has been solved. Find the solution here

Important information
-- Required MX 15/16 Repository Changes
-- Information on torrent hosting changes
-- Information on MX15/16 GPG Keys
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Is there a How-To for creating a custom re-spin?

peter_li
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:57 am

Is there a How-To for creating a custom re-spin?

#1

Post by peter_li » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:49 am

I followed the thread of @manyroads about his Openbox re-spin but I like to know more information about the process(which program/scripts to use). So with this knowledge I like to try to create my own MATE re-spin. I tested the new existing one but I think there are some points I would make in a other way.
MX-18.3 kernel: 4.19.0-5-amd64
AMD Ryzen 3
8 GB RAM

User avatar
manyroads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: Is there a How-To for creating a custom re-spin?

#2

Post by manyroads » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:54 am

peter_li wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:49 am
I followed the thread of @manyroads about his Openbox re-spin but I like to know more information about the process(which program/scripts to use). So with this knowledge I like to try to create my own MATE re-spin. I tested the new existing one but I think there are some points I would make in a other way.
Simply follow the directions on how to create a snapshot. They are in the MX docs.
"Don't believe everything you think."
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com - Reg. Linux User #449130
MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
Dell Latitude E5470
Intel i5-6300U~ 24GB RAM ~ SSD: 1TB
Coding since 1974

User avatar
asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 4753
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:37 am

Re: Is there a How-To for creating a custom re-spin?

#3

Post by asqwerth » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:04 am

Check out dolphin_oracle's YouTube channel, runwiththedolphin.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

peter_li
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:57 am

Re: Is there a How-To for creating a custom re-spin?

#4

Post by peter_li » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:14 am

manyroads wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:54 am
peter_li wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:49 am
I followed the thread of @manyroads about his Openbox re-spin but I like to know more information about the process(which program/scripts to use). So with this knowledge I like to try to create my own MATE re-spin. I tested the new existing one but I think there are some points I would make in a other way.
Simply follow the directions on how to create a snapshot. They are in the MX docs.
Okay, I see how to create a snapshot in the MX manual by MX Snapshot.
But this informs me that a space of 7,0G is required for /(root).

How could the system be stripped down so that the resulting image size is only around 2G, the typical size for install images, without leading to further problems?
MX-18.3 kernel: 4.19.0-5-amd64
AMD Ryzen 3
8 GB RAM

peter_li
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:57 am

Re: Is there a How-To for creating a custom re-spin?

#5

Post by peter_li » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:17 am

asqwerth wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:04 am
Check out dolphin_oracle's YouTube channel, runwiththedolphin.
Sorry, I regret. I am german and I think my english is not so good for following a english video. :-(
MX-18.3 kernel: 4.19.0-5-amd64
AMD Ryzen 3
8 GB RAM

User avatar
manyroads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: Is there a How-To for creating a custom re-spin?

#6

Post by manyroads » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:23 am

I don't know... I never thought about it. You need working space for things to be gathered and recombined, is my guess. In the olden days (during the Crusades and just after the dinosaurs) we called that working storage/ swap space/ swap storage. :bagoverhead:

Also auf Deutsch... ich habe keine Ahnung. Dem Platz ist bloß zum Arbeiten (meine Meinung nach). (Meine Humor bleibt in Englisch...) :eek:
"Don't believe everything you think."
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com - Reg. Linux User #449130
MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
Dell Latitude E5470
Intel i5-6300U~ 24GB RAM ~ SSD: 1TB
Coding since 1974

User avatar
Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 24924
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:13 am

Re: Is there a How-To for creating a custom re-spin?

#7

Post by Jerry3904 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:42 am

Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

peter_li
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:57 am

Re: Is there a How-To for creating a custom re-spin?

#8

Post by peter_li » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:46 am

manyroads wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:23 am
I don't know... I never thought about it. You need working space for things to be gathered and recombined, is my guess. In the olden days (during the Crusades and just after the dinosaurs) we called that working storage/ swap space/ swap storage. :bagoverhead:

Also auf Deutsch... ich habe keine Ahnung. Dem Platz ist bloß zum Arbeiten (meine Meinung nach). (Meine Humor bleibt in Englisch...) :eek:
MX Snapshot:

Code: Select all

- required space for /(root):7,0G
- free space on /home, where the snapshot-directory is: 30G
My swap space is around 5G but where is the relationship?

I will try it now but it seems to last some time. I will come back and report.
MX-18.3 kernel: 4.19.0-5-amd64
AMD Ryzen 3
8 GB RAM

peter_li
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:57 am

Re: Is there a How-To for creating a custom re-spin?

#9

Post by peter_li » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:05 am

peter_li wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:46 am
manyroads wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:23 am
I don't know... I never thought about it. You need working space for things to be gathered and recombined, is my guess. In the olden days (during the Crusades and just after the dinosaurs) we called that working storage/ swap space/ swap storage. :bagoverhead:

Also auf Deutsch... ich habe keine Ahnung. Dem Platz ist bloß zum Arbeiten (meine Meinung nach). (Meine Humor bleibt in Englisch...) :eek:
MX Snapshot:

Code: Select all

- required space for /(root):7,0G
- free space on /home, where the snapshot-directory is: 30G
My swap space is around 5G but where is the relationship?

I will try it now but it seems to last some time. I will come back and report.
I did it the first time and have to say its more than simple. It last around seven minutes to create the iso and produced iso has a size of only 1,6G, very, very good compression.
Could this be noted somewhere? Which BIOSes get problems with more than 1024 cyl.?
MX-18.3 kernel: 4.19.0-5-amd64
AMD Ryzen 3
8 GB RAM

User avatar
manyroads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1626
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: Is there a How-To for creating a custom re-spin?

#10

Post by manyroads » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:08 am

peter_li wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:46 am
MX Snapshot:

Code: Select all

- required space for /(root):7,0G
- free space on /home, where the snapshot-directory is: 30G
My swap space is around 5G but where is the relationship?

I will try it now but it seems to last some time. I will come back and report.
It is not your swap space that matters (wie sagt mann swap space... UmtauschungsPlatz?) . I believe the issue is working space (Arbeitsplatz). 30G soll genug sein (should be enough). Und ja, es kann dauerhaft sein (yes it can be slow).

Viel spaß!
"Don't believe everything you think."
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com - Reg. Linux User #449130
MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
Dell Latitude E5470
Intel i5-6300U~ 24GB RAM ~ SSD: 1TB
Coding since 1974

Post Reply

Return to “Community Submissions”