News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

[SOLVED] Adding MX to existing LiLo system

ian.d.brunton
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by ian.d.brunton » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:44 pm

I've been using other distros for years and I want to try out MX. The live USB really impressed me! (I might also try antiX.)

I have an existing 64-bit Linux system with a GPT table, using Lilo (yes, I know, it's antique, but so far it has served my purposes), and a small separate /dev/sda1 (10 GiB) that is mounted on /boot.

The MX installer doesn't provide me an option to create a separate /boot partition.

Would it be better/easier to install GRUB and then add the old system to that? or is there a way to add MX to lilo?

Cheers
Last edited by ian.d.brunton on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k_sz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Adding MX to existing LiLo system

Post by k_sz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Hello,
from here, it would be easier/safer to install grub2 and let it deal with your partitions, since grub seems to be more oftenly updated than lilo. Even if it's not a valid argument, grub2 gets more support than lilo (AFAIK) since grub2 is more installed than lilo.

About replacing lilo with grub : both are completly independent : grub won't use any part of lilo, same for lilo. Both will read your partitions table and brew their own soup :) (in your MBR). And both are interchangeable (while not being capable of coexisting, AFAIK).
> Desktop : AMD 64 bits (unknowned monocore model :P looking for an AM2+ 4cores Phenom) | RAM 4Go DDR2 | MX17.1@daily updates
> Laptop : Work In Progress, Celeron monocore | DDR2 | Probably antiX ^^

ian.d.brunton
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by ian.d.brunton » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi:

So, if I install MX to, say, dev/sda5, with GRUB2 installed to the MBR (I know technically GPT doesn't have an MBR in the same sense, but the other option is to install it to /root), GRUB would handle booting, and I could then, from within MX, add the relevant entry to GRUB for the older system, and bypass LiLO.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Post by dolphin_oracle » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:23 pm

You could install grub to the mx root partiton (our installer gives you that option) then setup lilo to chain load to it, similar to the way windows is handled. I don't know how to configure lilo but I imagine it's fairly easy to set up a chainload.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18.3
lenovo s21e - antiX-19 beta 2 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

ian.d.brunton
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by ian.d.brunton » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:28 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:You could install grub to the mx root partiton (our installer gives you that option) then setup lilo to chain load to it, similar to the way windows is handled. I don't know how to configure lilo but I imagine it's fairly easy to set up a chainload.
I hadn't thought of that. According to this it might be very easy.

GuiGuy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by GuiGuy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:40 pm

I agree that the Mepis/AntiX/MX installer has the disadvantage of not offering a separate boot partition, but that is a minor snag.
If you install MX on new partition(s), grub will pick up your existing OS (including MSWindows if present) and let you choose between them at startup.

ian.d.brunton
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by ian.d.brunton » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:44 pm

GuiGuy wrote:I agree that the Mepis/AntiX/MX installer has the disadvantage of not offering a separate boot partition, but that is a minor snag.
Agreed, it's pretty minor. Just means I need to learn something about a bootloader other than LiLO.
GuiGuy wrote:If you install MX on new partition(s), grub will pick up your existing OS (including MSWindows if present) and let you choose between them at startup.
I didn't know that. I haven't used GRUB in a very long time. So would I choose the option to install to MBR or /root ?

GuiGuy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by GuiGuy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:49 pm

MBR

ian.d.brunton
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by ian.d.brunton » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:00 pm

Thanks

You folks are so helpful!

ian.d.brunton
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by ian.d.brunton » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Installing GRUB2 to the MBR from the MX installer did the trick. It added my older distro automatically.

Return to “Installation”