News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

XFCE and DE innovation

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: XFCE and DE innovation

Post by JayM » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:57 am

AK-47 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:09 am
Yes, because every day I think to myself, gee, I wish I had more innovation on my desktop. I'm tired of it being familiar and stable.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

Gaer Boy
Developer

Post by Gaer Boy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:20 am

AAARGH!

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-18.3
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-18.3

masterpeace
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by masterpeace » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:28 am

that dog ...

iirc it was vista ? or xp ? me ? but must be before 7

jeffreyC
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by jeffreyC » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:39 pm

But I don't know how well moving it to GTK3 will work, GTK now stands for Gnome Tool Kit, and each new version of it released breaks stuff built against the previous versions. This is being done to prevent theming Gnome to protect the brand, the Gnome devs want everyone to be able to know it is Gnome just by looking at it. And no, they don't care if it doesn't work with Xfce.

Auro Kumar Sahoo
Developer

Post by Auro Kumar Sahoo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:58 am

I like xfce for its simplicity and capabilities. But I am a fan of KDE. It's not because I am blind for KDE, but it's improving bug free and stability.
I was surprised when I see KDE 5.16s performance, with 0 -1% cpu and 350 mb Ram in KDE neon, it's quite challenging to xfce which was once at that level. KDE with all modernity and desktop features loaded is surprisingly faster than xfce and less resources than xfce.
Even I have not find a single breakdown of desktop or bug using for more than a month on KDE neon, same for kubuntu 19.04 after updates.

I will really love to see old mepis team come forward and with all goodness of MX and KDE make a official KDE spin of MX which officially supported because I can't use other distribution other than MX for my production pc as MX is far better than Ubuntu derivatives. (Using kdeneon as to test KDE plasma's improvement)

KDE is very attractive and usable particularly to graphics and multimedia users as dolphin support preview even for video, audio and Raw images and in side panel one can play the contents. Kdenlive, krita .... Performance is better on KDE plasma.
Wallpapers for mx : https://www.flickr.com/photos/aurokumar ... 2672882131 & page2
MX help : https://mxlinux.org/manuals/

दुर्लभम् हि सदा सुखम् ||{Ramayan २-१८-१३}
To be happy always is something which is difficult to achieve.

AK-47
Developer

Post by AK-47 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:07 am

I'd like LXQt myselt, it is less heavy on resources than KDE is. Once LXQt supports Wayland I have no doubt it will be a winner.
MX Linux 18.3 - Panasonic CF-30 - 3GB RAM - 160GB HDD - Core 2 Duo

SwampRabbit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SwampRabbit » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:00 am

Auro Kumar Sahoo wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:58 am
I was surprised when I see KDE 5.16s performance, with 0 -1% cpu and 350 mb Ram in KDE neon, it's quite challenging to xfce which was once at that level. KDE with all modernity and desktop features loaded is surprisingly faster than xfce and less resources than xfce.
Even I have not find a single breakdown of desktop or bug using for more than a month on KDE neon, same for kubuntu 19.04 after updates.
I would never have though that KDE could be running with just 350MB of RAM. I've seen XFCE, Mate, and LX do it before services and applications get opened.

I prefer XFCE because it does what I need and stays out of my way. It has been a long time since I tried KDE, but I always thought it was bloated and for as much "bling" that it had... it was ugly. I never liked their control panels and options. But its been a long time since I used it.

I guess its a good enough time to take it for a spin on the MX-19 beta.

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by KBD » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:49 am

Auro Kumar Sahoo wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:58 am
I like xfce for its simplicity and capabilities. But I am a fan of KDE. It's not because I am blind for KDE, but it's improving bug free and stability.

I will really love to see old mepis team come forward and with all goodness of MX and KDE make a official KDE spin of MX which officially supported because I can't use other distribution other than MX for my production pc as MX is far better than Ubuntu derivatives. (Using kdeneon as to test KDE plasma's improvement)

KDE is very attractive and usable particularly to graphics and multimedia users as dolphin support preview even for video, audio and Raw images and in side panel one can play the contents. Kdenlive, krita .... Performance is better on KDE plasma.
Gnome Tool Kit is why I'm pulling for both KDE and LXQt. I never quite trust gnome not to do something stupid. Xfce is my favorite DE and I like MATE as well, but depending upon gnome for anything makes me uneasy for the latter two DE's.

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by manyroads » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:18 pm

No matter what, until Linux comes up with something standard (which is 'most' doubtful) Qt and GTK will 'bumble along' until, of course, the next 'new' thing comes along. If living with GTK and/or QT or whatever is really horrible and bothers you probably will be best off to standardize on one or the other. To my (simple) mind the big things these provide, functionally/ visually, is window borders, look & feel, etc. If you truly want to be free of GTK3/GTK4/QT/?? visual encumbrances, the best approach (for me anyway) is to go 'minimalist' & 'border-less' by using a tiling window manager.

Here's the GTK4 roadmap: https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK/Roadmap/GTK4
Here's 2019 QT 5+ Roadmap: https://blog.qt.io/blog/2019/02/22/qt-roadmap-2019/

No matter what change is inevitable... 'duck'. :anispider2: Oh and rest assured, your worries will be OBE (overcome by events). :bagoverhead: :footinmouth:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Testing: antiX19

Return to “Desktop Environment”