News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

"Partial installation" of MX?

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

"Partial installation" of MX?

Post by JayM » Tue May 28, 2019 3:56 am

I was wondering, is there a way to install MX on a system for somebody else and make it prompt to create the first user account, or rename it and change its password plus set (or change) the root password, upon first boot? Such as when setting up a computer that you're getting ready to sell, or computers that are sold in stores that have MX pre-loaded on them. I seem to recall that some newly-deployed computers in the past, particularly in enterprise environments, had like a partial installation (of Windows) that prompted the new user to finalize the install by creating his or her account when he first turned it on. I'm just wondering if there's any sort of a similar wizard available for MX that could be set to autostart and prompt the user to set up the user account and root password so only he or she would know what they were, then stop autostarting once this wizard had been completed?
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

mxer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: "Partial installation" of MX?

Post by mxer » Tue May 28, 2019 5:38 am

I've seen 'run once' scripts, but no idea how they are made/constructed, maybe search for that term.

P.S. When I set up machines to give away, I use 'user' (passwd user), & 'root' (passwd root), & tell them to change them, else someone can access their private files, usually gets them to change them.
Last edited by mxer on Tue May 28, 2019 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

Pierre

Post by Pierre » Tue May 28, 2019 5:40 am

that is what is called an OEM installation & both the Ubuntu & LinuxMint installers do have that option available.
- but, not the MX-Linux installer.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Tue May 28, 2019 6:00 am

Pierre wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:40 am
that is what is called an OEM installation & both the Ubuntu & LinuxMint installers do have that option available.
- but, not the MX-Linux installer.
"OEM Installation"! Thank you, that's the term I was trying to think of and couldn't remember.

The more I thought about it the more I was afraid that this would wind up being a feature request for the installer. The proper time to suggest it would have been a month ago when AK-47 was starting to redo the installer for MX 18.3, but alas I only thought of it this morning. Maybe it can be added someday, perhaps in time for MX 18.4.

Could a moderator please move this thread to the appropriate area for such requests? Thanks.

It could be a way to evangelize for MX Linux if people did said OEM installations on second-hand computers they were selling, or a person could earn a bit of extra money buying low-spec, older, slower laptops then OEM-installing MX and reselling them at a slight profit, or a small independent computer shop that builds desktop PCs for sale (do those still exist?) or resells surplus/used PCs could preinstall MX on them rather than selling bare-bones machines with no operating system at all on them, or for deployments in small businesses or in schools, exposing more people to MX.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

Pierre

Post by Pierre » Tue May 28, 2019 6:24 am

whilst the idea of an "Partial installation" of MX? is feasible - - it's not something that I've been bothered with,
as I've always known 'who' the refurbished machine is going to go to :happy:
& I've already asked them for their preferred UserName & Password - - it's that Root password, that is tricky.
- - some other Linux Systems don't have an dedicated Root Account & that can catch some folks un-aware of this feature.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Tue May 28, 2019 6:50 am

Pierre wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:24 am
whilst the idea of an "Partial installation" of MX? is feasible - - it's not something that I've been bothered with,
as I've always known 'who' the refurbished machine is going to go to :happy:
& I've already asked them for their preferred UserName & Password - - it's that Root password, that is tricky.
- - some other Linux Systems don't have an dedicated Root Account & that can catch some folks un-aware of this feature.
That may be fine for an individual selling one refurbished computer, but what about a shop, whether brick and mortar or online, that sells many per month? Making the buyer choose their own computer name, domain name, workgroup name, user name and password, and root password after they get their computer home would create a lot less work for the shop's technician, save a lot of back-and-forth dialogue between the tech and the customer while getting it set up, and get the machine out the door a lot faster.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Post by Jerry3904 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:51 am

Could a moderator please move this thread to the appropriate area for such requests? Thanks.
This is not a request at the Forum level. The appropriate place would be to click on "BUGS" and make an enhancement request.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Tue May 28, 2019 7:02 am

Jerry3904 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:51 am
This is not a request at the Forum level. The appropriate place would be to click on "BUGS" and make an enhancement request.
OK, will do.

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by skidoo » Tue May 28, 2019 1:59 pm

:yay:
MX Linux is well-poised for sponsorship//affiliation with some manufacturer of linux-oriented hardware, and the feature proposed by JayM would certainly sweeten that prospect.

Ubuntu {--- Dell; Star Labs; Entroware; et al
LinuxMint {--- Compulab; Star Labs;
Debian {--- Purism; ZaReason
Fedora {--- ZaReason
ElementaryOS {--- Juno Computers
PCLinuxOS {--- Chimpbox

Adrian
Developer

Post by Adrian » Tue May 28, 2019 2:50 pm

The changes we made in the installer will allow us to add a --oem switch very easily (probably a "--oem=sda" or something like that) and install with a set of default settings on a specified drive, the only thing that's a bit more difficult we'd need to add something that runs at first boot to allow user to enter their username and password -- that's also very doable with a init script that would be deleted after completing it successful, so it's all very doable.

Also I have something else in plans, right now the installer save the chosen configs in a /var/log/minstall.conf (take a look at any MX-18.3 install) I would like to add a batch or "auto" install something like
mistall --auto /blah/blah/minstall.conf that would simple run the installer automatically with the settings from that minstall.conf file. Not sure how useful and what particular use case would serve (maybe doing multiple installations in a computer lab) but it's easy to add and it's fun to have some level of automation.

Return to “General”