News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Daily use of MX Linux (and Antix if you use it as well)

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Daily use of MX Linux (and Antix if you use it as well)

Post by KBD » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:15 am

xali wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:07 am
so, it seems that mx is used for almost everything in a daily basis. But rarely as a server...
I use it for a Plex server.

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

Post by rokytnji.1 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:56 am

Old city Hall server serves as Shop Media center and and pdf and manuals holder. Wifi is direct TV antenna that sources the house.

Chromeboom/k bounces around in the saddle bags. Android phone is the wifi router for it when out in the boonies.

famicommander
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by famicommander » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:22 pm

I just built a media center and installed MX on it.

So mostly I use it to stream videos via web browser, to play video files stored on an external drive, to play music via Spotify, etc.

I am quite excited for the HiDPI and vsync improvements in the next version of Xfce. I can't wait for the new release of MX for that reason. Videos on the external drive play fine but there is noticeable screen tearing sometimes when streaming. Also, using a 4K TV on a monitor can be a bit troublesome in places.

All my other machines run Linux Mint but Mint doesn't want to install on this Ryzen APU due to the age of the kernel it ships with.

carum carvi
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by carum carvi » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:25 pm

famicommander wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:22 pm
Videos on the external drive play fine but there is noticeable screen tearing sometimes when streaming.
Since I have solved screentearing in Firefox in MX 18.3 I would like to share my simple solution for those with an Intel driver. Perhaps they can benefit from the same, simple solution.

Go to: MX Tweak / Congfig Options. Select: use intel driver instead of default "modsetting" driver (requires restart).

Advice that pointed me in the right direction to be found on this website:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... m-in-linux

My specs:
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: MX-18.3_x64 Continuum May 26 2019

Graphics: Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics vendor: Lenovo driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0

Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: intel resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile v: 4.2 Mesa 18.2.6 direct render: Yes

famicommander
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by famicommander » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:48 pm

I am not using Intel graphics, I am using an AMD Ryzen 2200G APU.

handy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by handy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:45 pm

I use MX on two machines (the Clevo notebook & a cloned copy of that installed/modified not long ago on my recently obtained from storage (after ~2 years), full tower machine). I've also recently put a custom USB stick - MX, on another machine that I just gave to a friend, as he really needs to get on the internet & this was the cheapest way that I could come up with for him.

I use antiX on another low energy consumption notebook that I take with me when I hit the road.

My actual uses these days are pretty limited.

Primarily I read the MX & Manjaro forums to keep up with what's happening in the GNU/Linux world. I also read whatever links interest me from https://goldsilver.com/industry-news/ to keep up with what the crazy people who run the world are up to & to keep track of what gold & silver are up to. (The more the idiots stuff up our world, the more those two precious metals will be worth). I've been "all in", re. those two metals for ~4 years now as I have no faith in the <1%ers who think that we'd all be so much worse off if they weren't running the world for us.

I watch some vids & I play some games. I primarily use the full tower for playing Steam games on Win7. As Linux can't play all that I want to play. Having my full tower back means that I can now use my 970 graphics card. Which is nice. :)

These days I only explore & learn new things with an OS when I have to. After >30 years of being involved with IT, I've found that the nuts & bolts of it, which bought me so much stimulation & satisfaction for decades has at last lost most of its lustre...

My use of IT is to fill in most of my waking hours with education/entertainment, whilst I await my bodies end time. After which, I can leave this beyond magnificently beautiful planet & its ugly infestation of ever ravenous human beings, that, mostly unwittingly, are consuming their gorgeous, living, home.
Clevo N'book (2014): P150SM-A
CPU: i7-4810MQ (Haswell) Speed: 2800/3800 MHz
RAM: 16 GiB 1600 MHz DDR3
GPU-1: i915
GPU-2: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 880M] vRAM: 8GB 2500 Mhz DDR5
Storage: TOSHIBA 931.51 GiB. HGST 931.51 GiB. Crucial 223.57 GiB (M.2 SSD)

derrotmax
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by derrotmax » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:18 pm

I'm a contract network and cybersecurity engineer. I use MX almost exclusively on all my machines (only booting up M$ in exceedingly rare circumstances, and certainly never when security is at stake). I use MX for all the day-to-day things that everyone else does, but also for all of the networks I work on when troubleshooting, configuring, scanning, pentesting, tunneling, etc. I've deployed MX in all sorts of environments, from gaming PCs and homeschooling workstations, to hosting large-scale SCADA systems. I've really come to rely very heavily on MX both personally and professionally, and hope it sticks around for many years to come!

Return to “General”