News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

[Resolved] Installing the latest version of KiCad (why are packages so old, at times)

LordHog
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

[Resolved] Installing the latest version of KiCad (why are packages so old, at times)

Post by LordHog » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:52 pm

Hello,

I was looking to install KiCad and was looking at the KiCad download page (http://kicad-pcb.org/download/). There isn't a MX Linux version, so I thought the Debian release would be the best fit. Following the install instructions (sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get install kicad). Once installed I noticed it was an old release, v4.x and not the newest version 5.1.4, at the time of this writing. So, I removed it and was looking for a newer version. I did read on a MX Linux page that using ppa package are discouraged (https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/add-ppa-repository/).

So, is there another avenue to install the most recent version of KiCad other than cloning the source and building it locally? A side question, sometimes the packages that are installed via apt-get can be older versions and not the most recent (e.g., browsers like Firefox). I was curious to why that is the case?

As a side info, I have recently moved from Windows (since version 7 life is ending soon), so my background and history of Linux is not up to speed yet.

Edit: Sorry, failed to mention that I am running MX Linux v18.3 v20190614
Regards,
Mark
Last edited by LordHog on Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asqwerth
Developer

Re: Installing the latest version of KiCad (why are packages so old, at times)

Post by asqwerth » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:01 pm

Welcome.

Please read this post:
viewtopic.php?p=455532#p455532

And then check the MX Package Installer, Test Repo tab
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Post by chrispop99 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:11 pm

The reason why MX LInux packages are not always the latest is that it uses the Debian Stable base. That is very conservative in updating, and so gives great stability.

Often updates bring little that is new; where that is the case, a package request can be made, and if possible it will be added to the MX Test repo.

Chris
Test machines:
32-bit non-PAE - Thinkpad T41, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.
32-bit PAE - DELL Latitude D610, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM.
64-bit - Lenovo T61, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
64-bit - Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.

LordHog
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by LordHog » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:58 pm

asqwerth and chrispop99, thanks for your response. So, it seems if I would like to run a newer version of KiCad (or other software if required) is to submit a package be updated. If I need it a more quickly then I will need to build it from source.

>Often updates bring little that is new

In this case, KiCad had moved from a major revision which has brought many useful features. I guess I am surprised it hasn't been updated already.

asqwerth, I do like your profile pic. Personally, my wife and I take care of a few clowders. Also, do TNR on these clowders to help reduce the population. Lastly, have several foster failures and fosters that we try to adopt out to good homes.

Stevo
Developer

Re: [Resolved] Installing the latest version of KiCad (why are packages so old, at times)

Post by Stevo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:32 pm

Repology is a good resource to check both the versions in our main repo as well as our test repo.

https://repology.org/project/kicad/versions
The reason why MX LInux packages are not always the latest is that it uses the Debian Stable base.
now the Debian oldstable base for MX 17/18. We will be using the current stable for MX 19.

You can see we currently have 5.1.3 in our test repo, added a few weeks ago, and I'll look into getting 5.1.4 backported for it. (This involves recompiling it from the source files, not just yoinking the deb files from an upstream Debian repo and sticking them in ours--some users seemed to have that idea about backports, when it's actually quite different.)

Edit: Hmmm...I can't seem to find the oce-0.17 packages I did to support Kicad in our test repo! If MX PI fails to install Kicad, that's why. I'm taking the opportunity to update that to update it to the oce-18.2 in the Buster repo, though.

Return to “General”