News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Chromebooks

mxer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Chromebooks

Post by mxer » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:07 am

Has anyone had experience of putting MX or AntiX onto an Intel based chromebook?

I've just ordered a pre used one, to see how it would work out, but any actual experiences would be appreciated.

It has an eMMC internal drive.

This is the one I'm getting - http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-p ... b30-b-103/#
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Chromebooks

Post by KBD » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:31 pm

No experience with a Bay Trail cpu, but I've installed Debian and MX on Haswel cpu Chromebooks.
You have to first figure out what write-protection the bios uses, then flash the bios so you can install Linux on it. Would be great if you can increase that eMMC storage.
I would first look here for info about how to flash the bios:
https://mrchromebox.tech/

mxer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by mxer » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Many thanks for the link. :happy:

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by KBD » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:18 pm

mxer wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:01 pm
Many thanks for the link. :happy:
Let us know if you get MX on the laptop. Looks like MrChromebox firmware will work on that machine.

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by nathan2423 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:42 pm

I haven't checked to see if it is the same processor but I have completely replaced chrome in my similar Toshiba cb35 and I am very pleased with it.

mxer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by mxer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:21 am

Good to know, thanks. :thumbup:

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by KBD » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:21 am

nathan2423 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:42 pm
I haven't checked to see if it is the same processor but I have completely replaced chrome in my similar Toshiba cb35 and I am very pleased with it.
I had a CB35. Be very careful with that lid, watch for micro-cracks along the sides 3-4 inches up from the base. They made the plastic cover over the lid very thin. Mine eventually cracked and shorted out the lcd. Not a problem if you rarely open and close it, or never hold it by the sides of the lid.

Buck Fankers
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Buck Fankers » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:44 pm

I got me cheap (black friday) Samsung3. Similar stats, 16GB storage (yes it is too little) and some probably slower atom cpu (Haswel)

I got custom bios from that link, I had to take it apart, since in my case write-protect screw was on 'other side' of motherboard, so I had to take it out, flip it over to get to the screw. Thank you samsung :-(

Mrchromebox states, my chromebook is iffy, difficult. And true, after I upgraded bios (easy just following the steps and running the script), most Linuxes or didn't boot, or it did boot, but keyboard didn't work. I never got antiX to work on it. Luckily MX with stock kernel (4.14 or 415? can't recall) worked at that time. Later I got kernel 4:19 to work and this is what I have now. I was hoping 4.9 would work since it is very LTS, but no luck.

Of all Linux versions (I tried some 14-16) of those half that booted, none had sound. Including MX. Later I found some fix, some driver from (I think ubuntu) that fixed sound issue. Only thing that don't work now is microphone. This may actually be a good thing in this age of surveillance lol

16GB is really too little, but 128 GB micro sd card help with storing snapshots and other extra stuff. I primarily bought it for travel, for watching videos and reading on the airports and on the planes. Small factor, long battery life.... for this works great. Mine is on a weaker side, one of the slowest, so I wanted antiX on it. Surprisingly MX works great on it. I mean, I know how fast and lightweight MX is, but I'm still surprised how good it is performing on this slow Atom, 2GB RAM used to be chromebook. I'm very happy.

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by nathan2423 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:18 pm

As noted above I am pretty pleased with my Toshiba CB35, but as also noted above by KBD, it is cheaply built, and I have only 16gb main disk memory, which is too little. The main disk is soldered in so it is not upgradable. I also bought an Acer C720, of which I like the form factor, and I was able to upgrade the onboard disk to 128 gb. But the Acer is also cheaply built with poor aesthetics, and I am finding that it turns on about once every 3 days, between which time it refuses to boot at all, so build quality cannot be good. I have the latest MX18 running on both and they run great. I also have an Asus Chromebook Flip C100P which has excellent build quality (full metal case) and keyboard, but being ARM I cannot get MX to run on it. I like being full intel-compatible as I still run some programs in WINE, so I doubt strongly that I will buy another ARM.

I would think by now that we would be seeing a flood of used intel-based chromebooks on the market that would make great MX machines with great battery life at a sub-$150 or even sub-$100 price, but I haven't been following the market to know which ones to look for.

Does anyone have recommendations on good build quality / good aesthetics / at least 32gb on the main disk chromebooks that would be good to look for on ebay? Optimum would be for those now selling at $150 or less to use as a spare notebook.

Buck Fankers
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Buck Fankers » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:15 pm

nathan2423 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:18 pm
but being ARM I cannot get MX to run on it
Manjaro has ARM version, worth trying it out.
And there is possibility, after MX19 gets out, we may even get ARM version of MX.
No promises, but possibility for now. I will take it :grin:

Return to “General”