News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Whisker Menu and Panel customisation [Solved]

Show us how you are setting up MX
tascoast
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Whisker Menu and Panel customisation [Solved]

Post by tascoast » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:01 am

I've found the basic MX desktop needs a few tweaks, the latest being to show application categories, then applications, upon first clicking the Whisker Menu button, 'Recently Used' being the default category that is expanded.

The following summarises most of the tweaks I use when setting up a desktop and which might help a user unfamiliar with the setting and options available.

Whisker menu and Panel customisation

The default MX-14 Whisker menu is located at the top of a vertical Panel on the left of the desktop.

The Whisker menu displays Favourites by default (first click). This can be changed to 'Recently used'. This might be convenient if you have a second Panel with 'favourites', for example.

You may prefer the Whisker menu to display application categories followed by individual applications by checking Whisker Menu-Properties-Behaviour-Position categories next to panel button.

For a more compact menu, uncheck Whisker Menu-Properties Appearance-Show application descriptions and resize whisker menu panel (at the corner handle).

Whisker Menu category and application icon size can also be adjusted independently.

If you prefer Whisker Menu opacity, this can also be adjusted.

Panel Preferences

Where two (or more) Panels are used, these settings change a Panel independently. The same is true for categories like 'Recently Used'.

If you have added application icons on a Panel, adding several Panel Spacers (transparent) between these and items in the notification area may help to avoid confusion (eg Iceweasel launcher and adjacent Iceweasel icon for open window).

Items may be moved/dragged between Panels.

Icons may be changed in most instances. The default generic Web Browser icon is one example that can be replaced by a specific browser application.

Panel preferences can be set to hide 'intelligently' or 'automatically' and opacity upon entering or leaving can be adjusted (see Panel Opacity).

You may wish to uncheck Notification Area-Appearance-Show Frame if using Panel Opacity (see Windows Manager Tweaks-Compositing-Enable display compositing.

Likewise if using a transparent Panel (Panel Preferences-Appearance-Style-Background image [eg. A small transparent *.gif will work]), or save the attached...

You can change Panel orientation to a deskbar or horizontal layout (by unlocking and dragging to the bottom of the desktop if preferred). This typically require some rearrangement of icons and launchers (right-click required icon-Move) by dragging to the required position.

For a second Panel you may want to uncheck 'Automatically increase the length' for a compact layout, set a specific length (% of screen) or reduce icon size Display-Measurements-Row Size (Pixels).

Adjust the clock to preferred display style and locale.

Other handy settings...

Thunar

View-As Detailed List
-Configure columns
-Automatically expand columns as needed
(uncheck to make multiple file selection easier in a windowed Thunar)

VLC
uncheck Tools-Preferences-Look and Feel-resize interface to video size (not always reliable I've found)

Notifications
Adjust Settings Manager-Notifications-Default Position if these overlay other information like Conky Wigets. Opacity can be set here for notifications (85% seems to roughly match 75% in Windows Manager Compositing). *Switching 'Themes' in settings provides an instant preview.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tascoast on Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:03 am, edited 6 times in total.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX17/MX-16/antiX17/Mint 19

tascoast
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Whisker Menu and Panel customisation

Post by tascoast » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:44 am

Screenshot attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by eugen-b » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:36 am

Hey, taskoast! Do you know how to make the Wisker Menu use a dark background independently of windows background? Is it possible to decouple it's colour settings? I like how it looks with NOX theme, but I hate how all the applications windows look with such a theme.
MX-14 on a Via Eden 1GHz CPU thin client, 3GB RAM, Via VX800 chipset, Via Chrome9 HC GPU, 32GB M.2 SSD;
btrfs with @ and @home subvolumes for MX-14;
added @antiX and @antiXhome subvolumes and copied antix 13.1 base into them, adjusting Grub from MX-14.

tascoast
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tascoast » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:11 am

Do you know how to make the Wisker Menu use a dark background independently of windows background?
I think the default (non-opaque) Whisker Menu background follows the default theme being used? If so, I haven't seen a way to change this.

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by eugen-b » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:15 am

tascoast wrote:
Do you know how to make the Wisker Menu use a dark background independently of windows background?
I think the default (non-opaque) Whisker Menu background follows the default theme being used? If so, I haven't seen a way to change this.
Yeah, that's what I noticed, too.
The distro that tweaks the Whisker menu the most might be Chalet OS, but I didn't test it for more than half an hour.
MX-14 on a Via Eden 1GHz CPU thin client, 3GB RAM, Via VX800 chipset, Via Chrome9 HC GPU, 32GB M.2 SSD;
added @antiX and @antiXhome subvolumes and copied antix 13.1 base into them, adjusting Grub from MX-14.

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:17 am

You can change the color with the Panel Preferences dialog>Appearance.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

eugen-b
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by eugen-b » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:23 am

richb wrote:You can change the color with the Panel Preferences dialog>Appearance.
Yes, you can, but it will change the colour of the windows as well, afaik. I would like to change the Wisker menu colour without changing other colours.

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:27 am

eugen-b wrote:
richb wrote:You can change the color with the Panel Preferences dialog>Appearance.
Yes, you can, but it will change the colour of the windows as well, afaik. I would like to change the Wisker menu colour without changing other colours.
Actually it does not. Right click on the panel, choose Panel then Panel preferences. Click the appearance tab and then the color block and pick a new color. Only the panel color will change.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

tascoast
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tascoast » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:33 am

My suspicion is that the Whisker Menu background and theme are tied such that users don't select background-text combinations that are unreadable. Panel colour is a bit less critical, although clock display, for instance, limits options (eg white) for practical purposes.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Post by Jerry3904 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:39 am

Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

Return to “Themes and Screenshots”