News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

leaving Google Mac business Internet

cjos
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

leaving Google Mac business Internet

Post by cjos » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:03 am

Hi,
I am trying to leave my Mac advert laden system for my good looking, newly installed Linux MX and would like to get some idea's on how to populate MX and get a more protected email address and safe web access.
Can anyone help?
Cyjos

chrispop99
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: leaving Google Mac business Internet

Post by chrispop99 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:39 am

Linux is inherently safer than commercial operating systems.

Various add-ons for the default browser are available, enhancing privacy. I use uBlock Origin, and Disconnect.

Free email services are available; how 'protected' they are is anyone's guess, and it depends what type of protection you are wanting.

Chris
Test machines:
32-bit non-PAE - Thinkpad T41, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.
32-bit PAE - DELL Latitude D610, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM.
64-bit - Lenovo T61, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
64-bit - Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.

JayM
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by JayM » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:15 am

Many of the various "darknets", Tor, I2P and Freenet, have their own email system that's anonymous but uses a key-signed web of trust sort of thing so users can tell if a message is authentic and originated from a particular user. Those with whom you exchange email would need to also be running that same darknet software in order to be able to read and reply your email though.

I think it's possible to encrypt the contents of standard email messages such that only those who have your public key could decrypt and read them, but I have no personal experience with doing this.

You could also lease a VPS (virtual private server) and run your own email server on it using your own domain name, and use that rather than a "free" web-based email service (gmail/yahoo mail/etc.) that might harvest your data, if that's what the concern is. VPS's can be had for as little as US $5/month and domain name registrations for less than $10/year.

For web browsing, seconded that browser add-ons such as no script and ad block plus are handy to help prevent data harvesting, or just use Tor Browser in its highest security setting (and with java script disabled in about:config.) In my opinion any websites that require javascript be enabled often aren't worthwhile anyway. Most of the time their scripts are used to mine your data and serve targeted advertisements. See https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-reven ... s/67404040 for an interesting article about how Google (and Facebook) track you everywhere you go on the Internet, such that you see ads on totally unrelated websites that have to do with a Google search you did days earlier, as though Google is following you everywhere (they are.)
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by GuiGuy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:01 am

I use GMX Email and find it satisfactory. Hope it's OK to plug it on this forum.
https://www.gmx.com/

Sparky
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Sparky » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:38 am

Have you seen kali linux forums? it's a security battle front, it might help you. https://www.kali.org/
MX Linux Asus F552, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD

bobbee
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by bobbee » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:26 am

I suppose it depends on what you mean by secure email.
If you mean email that the provider doesn't sell your information.
Or if you mean encrypted. Both sender and receiver would need to use encryption.
However, in both cases, there isn't much in the fee realm. Nothing is truly free.
As far as decent providers. I'm curious too.

cjos
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by cjos » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:14 pm

Thank you all, it is most interesting and very helpful. I will have to get back to you all with specifics, once I have explored all the suggestions.

cjos
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by cjos » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:19 pm

While getting my way through the above, I found it not possible to launch Blender. Any clue's

Cyjo

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by KBD » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:38 pm

Both protonmail and tutanota online email are pretty secure. I've used them both and they work well. They are free with some limitations, but also offer paid upgrade.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:53 pm

cjos wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:19 pm
While getting my way through the above, I found it not possible to launch Blender. Any clue's

Cyjo
It's best to start a separate thread for the Blender problem. Start out by telling us how it was installed.

Return to “Chat”