News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Lightweight Linux Distro?

PPC
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Lightweight Linux Distro?

Post by PPC » Mon May 27, 2019 10:46 am

Hi, all!
The post might have not been serious, but it's a interesting question... MX runs light but, in my experience internet browsing or or any software that does intensive memory use, slows the system down to a crawl if running under 1 Gb or RAM. I would advise MX for single core pt's with more than 1 Gb and antiX if you have 1 Gb or less of RAM.
I would say the best overall "lightweight" Linux Distro is antiX running without desktop icons ( in Fluxbox or JWM)- you can get a "normal" OS without any restrictions in under 100 Mb of RAM. 4m, Puppy linux (and derivatives) also do a competent job running as lightweight as possible, put in my opinion they are not as versatile as antiX... Bodhi Linux, according to my not so vast experience, is less RAM hungry and has more eye candy than any of the official and unofficial lower specs Ubuntu's (like Lubuntu or Xunbuntu or Peppermint)...

P.

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by KBD » Mon May 27, 2019 11:09 am

Once you run Firefox or Chrome on any light distro it is no longer a light distro. Web browsers are the biggest problem for low spec hardware. Of course if you are using Gnome and a web browser like Chrome you are hitting about 2 gb of ram compared to Xfce where you might be at just a bit over or under 1 gb of ram with Chrome.

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by turtlebay777 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:52 am

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:32 am
Yeah but everybody loves a bit of bikeshedding, right? :happy:
Had to look that one up!

bikeshedding

"Parkinson's law of triviality is an observation about the human tendency to devote a great deal of time to unimportant details while crucial matters go unattended." ( https://whatis.techtarget.com/definitio ... keshedding )

Not the Crucial ram checker obviously!

Return to “General”