News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Really slow browser

Stevo
Developer

Re: Really slow browser

Post by Stevo » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:27 pm

You can also add ad blockers like Ublock-origin so your poor machine doesn't waste CPU cycles, bandwidth, and RAM on rendering ads, which make up most of many commercial web pages, as well as using the antiX ad blocker, which modifies the /etc/hosts file to block the worst third party ad sites.

You can also monitor your network download speed in many ways, such as with gkrellm or a conky theme. but I doubt that's the bottleneck. Users report slow browsing even with 2GB with the modern heavy browsers.

Stevo
Developer

Post by Stevo » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:31 pm

manyroads wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:53 pm
You might seek info such as this to see what might work...
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/05/wha ... r-on-linux
But how useful are nine year old tests on the browsers?

Qupzilla was pretty fast when we used to have it as the default browser in MX, though!

jj1j1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jj1j1 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:30 am

I actually think Opera is faster than Firefox, but I can't deal with the Google search bar in new tabs that is apparently impossible to remove...at least I couldn't find a way to do it...
True freedom is never asking the question; Am I free?

tremara
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by tremara » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:37 am

Hi JayM.....my problem is not the opening speed it is fine it is when you navigate to sites and the page loads are painfully slow and often don't load at all....I have now tried several 'lightweight' browsers and they all perform the same.....When I search from google the results page loads fine but when I try to navigate to a link is when things go bad...it seems that the delay is downloading the media for the page which indicates there it is a slow connection but as other device operate well on the same router it is not that......is there a setting in the network that sets the bit rate??...thanks

jj1j1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jj1j1 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:30 am

If Google is loading fine it's probably like you mentioned. Media whether it be images, vids, or streaming content is robbing resources, and bogging down your system. Stevo is right about ad blockers too. I almost exclusively use Firefox, and there's settings I always change when I install it that I think speeds it up a bit, and disables some irritating features on some sites. I install Adblocker Ultimate and Java toggle. Some site have dozens of adds that are blocked. I disable media-autoplay, and HTML5 videos so they don't rob resources trying to load and play. Some of the websites out there are hogs. In Firefox it's a matter of typing "about:config" in the address bar, and typing autoplay or HTML5 in the search bar, and disabling it. With some sites you can tell that java is working in the background as they seem to load differently, or some stupid java applet that blocks the whole site appears forcing you to click on it. I just turn off java, and reload the site. What I noticed about old systems though is if you use newer systems for any amount of time, and go back to older ones it sometimes sucks because their just slower period. Thank goodness for Linux.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:43 am

Ads, cookies, third-party cookies, trackers, javascripts, images, auto-play videos- all that junk slows down page loading on sites that have them. Most of it's designed to harvest information about you so that can be "monetized".

Go to one of those sites that's slow, then in Firefox click View/Page style and select No style then reload the page. Is it still super-slow or does at least the text on the page load pretty fast now? You won't see the color scheme or style, and the images may or may not load, but this is just for testing purposes. You can change the setting back later.

I know one particular site that's very slow to scroll down in on my computer, a desktop with a dual-core Athlon CPU, 8GB of DDR2 RAM and an SSD. When I accessed it on a laptop I used to have, with an Intel Core i7 CPU and 12GB of DDR3 I had no scrolling issues. It's all the scripts and junk that bog down peoples' CPUs when they're trying to process all that junk. It's not your MX or your Internet connection, it's the webservers and web designers that are causing it.

Use an ad blocker browser extension along with NoScript. That will speed those sites up a bit.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Post by chrispop99 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:59 am

JayM wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:46 am

Another thing you could do to speed it up some is to replace the 40GiB hard drive with a 2.5" SSD. That may or may not dramatically improve performance depending on whether you have a SATA1 or SATA2 controller. You should be able to pick up a 50 to 60 gig SSD for under US$20.
The OPs HDD is an IDE (PATA) one, so an SSD is not a viable option.

Chris
Test machines:
32-bit non-PAE - Thinkpad T41, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.
32-bit PAE - DELL Latitude D610, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM.
64-bit - Lenovo T61, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
64-bit - Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.

jj1j1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jj1j1 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:02 am

Yea. I forgot about NoScript. That's a good one, and also a good for security.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Post by chrispop99 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:49 am

If you are currently connecting wirelessly, can you connect wired (ethernet) temporarily? If that makes no difference you can then eliminate your wireless hardware from the problem.

My own experience of hardware that is of similar age to yours is that it is simply not suitable for modern web browsing, regardless of browser.

Chris
Test machines:
32-bit non-PAE - Thinkpad T41, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.
32-bit PAE - DELL Latitude D610, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM.
64-bit - Lenovo T61, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
64-bit - Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.

tremara
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by tremara » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:03 am

Thanks to all for your advice I will work my way thru the suggestions....I am reluctant to block content as I mentioned in the original post the laptop is for an elderly friend and he won't know why stuff is not showing ie. Videos......Again thanks I will advise if I have any luck.....

Return to “antiX”