News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

no kompozer?

mmikeinsantarosa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

no kompozer?

Post by mmikeinsantarosa » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:03 pm

I checked the normal repos for kompozer and didn't see it so I went here http://kompozer.net/ and downloaded it. Then followed this you tube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXYGi5v5BUQ that shows how to download and extract it to a flodler. Now all I should have to do is double click on the kompozer executablle that was extracted and it should run.

but it doesn't.

There are probably other apps that function the same way. Does this folder need to be under a specific path or is there something about the MX kernel that deosn't allow it to run (a compatibility issue)?

additional advice indicated it can't be run from a shell, which I tried anyway to no avail.

What wrong with my kompozer?
LT: MX18.2 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: no kompozer?

Post by uncle mark » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:21 pm

Did you see the date on the download for the "latest stable version"? Try 2007.

Then there was this from the download page:
Warning: this version does NOT work with recent GNU/Linux distros.
KompoZer 0.7 is not compatible with GTK ≥ 2.14 — expect crashes. If you’re using a Linux distro that ships KompoZer 0.7.10 with GTK ≥ 2.14, please inform the package maintainers about this.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

beckwith
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by beckwith » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:28 pm

I have KompoZer 0.8b3 (20081229) copyright 2010 running very well
- but thats on Mepis 12 not MX14.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:48 pm

The video tells the Linux user to click the ."exe" file to run it. Stopped listening right there.

If you do download the Windows version and click the kompozer.exe file, it seems to run well in Wine, at least in limited testing. Maybe that's what the Tuber had happen.

mmikeinsantarosa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by mmikeinsantarosa » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:06 pm

I maintain our lab website using dreamweaver so I was really looking to try what linux wysiwyg HTML editors were available and saw kompozer rated well. I don't see any previous versions for kompozer and I could run dreamweaver in a windows VM or something. I really want whatever is good on linux.

Can anybody recommend something they've tried?

m
LT: MX18.2 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

gmagar
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by gmagar » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:02 am

LibreOffice Writer has an HTML Editor intergrated in it called Web.

LibreOffice Writer > File > New > HTML Document.

Looks like a great resource to me.
Linuxers Live By A CODE!

eselma
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by eselma » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:18 am

mmikeinsantarosa wrote:I maintain our lab website using dreamweaver so I was really looking to try what linux wysiwyg HTML editors were available and saw kompozer rated well.
Yes, Kompozer is very old and not updated in past years. So, better forget it, even in version 0.8.3 (the last I noticed, dated 2010 which works in MX-14). You have several alternatives:

- The "composer" of SeaMonkey / IceApe. But those are applications going towards End of Life. Iceape, formerly in the repo of Squeeze, has not Debian security updates from 2013. SeaMonkey is supported by an enthusiastic community, but is out of the Mozilla's scope. So, in a position similar to Kompozer.

- As a WYSIWYG, in Dreamweaver style, you have Bluegriffon http://bluegriffon.org/. This is based on Firefox and can compose pages in HTML5 if needed. The last versions (1.7.x) are not compatible with the Debian Wheezy (so, MX-14) libraries, but you can try the version 1.5. The vanilla app is free (as in beer), and enough for most web editing. The author, Daniel Glazman, can sell also (for few bucks) add-ons to increase the productivity if you need them. The program looks well, but I did not used much of them.

- The problem with the WYSIWYG editors, IMHO, is they mess the code. So, many authors prefer the real HTML editors. Many skilled ones use editors like Geany or Kate, others even Gedit or Leafpad. Of course, you can find the 'hardcore': VIM or EMACS. All them give clean code and can be very productive if you are skilled enough.

- There is no need for this basic options: you can use specific HTML Editors, like was Quanta in KDE (used by Jerry to compose the Mepis Docs), but unluckily it is not available for KDE4. But you can use Bluefish, the last version of it is in the MX-14 repos. It is an HTML editor with a lot of shortcuts (including ability to upload files to the website with a single key) so you can be productive in minutes. It is not a WYSIWYG, but also with a simple keystroke you can see the look of your page in Firefox or your preferred browser(s). It can also check the code with Tidy or WebLint.

- If you are programming in Java, PHP or alike, you can be interested in other editors, including Komodo, Aptana, Netbeans, etc. You can have also commercial apps as WebStorm or Webmaker. As usual in Linuxland, you can try some of them and choose the one that suits best for you.

- Of course, another option is using Wine or CrossOver to emulate Windows and use Dreamweaver (some versions work, other does not) HTML-Kit (build 292 works, the last ones no) or other. AFAIK, CofeeCup does not work under Wine. But this is a risky solution, and you can find sometimes problems with FTP. I think using a native GNU/Linux app (or even Java based, as Aracnophobia) is better.

My 2 cents.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Jerry3904 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:45 am

I have been using Bluefish for the last year, and have come to like it very much. It's what I use for the MX Docs, so the easy upload is great.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Jerry3904 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:11 am

gmagar wrote:LibreOffice Writer has an HTML Editor intergrated in it called Web.

I've never tried that, will have to take a look.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by uncle mark » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:56 am

Jerry3904 wrote:
gmagar wrote:LibreOffice Writer has an HTML Editor intergrated in it called Web.

I've never tried that, will have to take a look.
I have a very rudimentary website hosted on my main desktop and used that (actually it was Open Office at the time) to set it up. Worked okay for me, but I'm talking about as simple as it gets. I'm sure someone who knew what he was doing could make it work much better for them.

At the time I launched from the terminal with 'oo-web'. Probably now would be 'lo-web' or some such.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

Return to “General”