Here are the migration paths to the current version of MX Linux from earlier versions.*
After migration, the MX version recorded by the system will remain that of your original installation.
The upgrade will take place automatically through the standard upgrade process. When the process is completed, the “RC1” in the version name will disappear.
From any version of MX-18 to MX-19
From MX-18 to MX-18.3
Update will be automatic through the normal update process.
From MX-17 Final, MX-17.1 or MX-18 RC1 to MX-18
Update will be automatic through the normal update process. Optional steps:
- The new 4.19 kernel will not be installed automatically. If you want the kernel, there is an entry under MX-Package Installer > Popular Apps > Kernels > MX 4.19
- The new artwork will not be installed automatically. If you want the new artwork, install from the MX-Package Installer > Popular Apps > Wallpapers > MX 18 Wallpapers
- There are new grub themes available on the MX 18 iso, although they are not used by default. If you want to try them, they are available under MX-Package Installer > Popular Apps > Themes > grub-themes-mx. The themes will be selectable in MX-Boot-Options
- The Thunar custom actions have been redone for MX 18. If you want the new actions, use the “Reset Thunar Custom Actions ” tool on the Config Options tab of MX-Tweak.
- The lightdm (login screen) has been updated. If you would like the new theme, use the “Reset Lightdm ” tool on the Config Options tab of MX-Tweak.
- There are some new conkies and others have been revised; you can copy them from /usr/share/mx-conky-data/themes to ~/.conky/
- The default backgrounds for grub and splash are new; use MX Boot Options to select those with the word “linen”
From MX-17 Final or MX-17.1 RC1 to MX-17.1 Final
Run dist-upgrade through MX Updater or in a terminal. Optional steps:
- Use MX Package Installer to install new kernel MX 4.15
- Select MX-Gold wallpaper in the usual way: right-click the desktop > Desktop Settings where you should be looking at the default /usr/share/backgrounds
- Launch MX Conky, and note the popup that appears. Click on the link /usr/share/mx-conky-data/themes, open the Default folder and copy Hermoso_sys_mx171 to your hidden conky folder in Home
From MX-17 RC 1 to MX-17 Final
Run full upgrade through MX Apt Notifer or in a terminal.
From MX-17 Betas to MX-17 Final
Running dist-upgrade through MX Apt Notifer or in a terminal will work, but not produce MX-17 Final as released.
From MX-16 or MX-16.1 (or earlier) to MX-17
Not supported because of base shift from Debian 8 to 9.
From MX-16 RC 1 to MX-16 Final
Running dist-upgrade either through MX Apt Notifer or in a terminal, and installing mx-apps and timeset-gui, will carry you through.
From MX-15 RC 1 to MX-15 Final
Running dist-upgrade either through MX Apt Notifer or in a terminal will carry you through.
From MX-15 Beta 2 to RC 1
Not recommended and not supported.
From MX-15 Beta 1 to Beta 2
- Download the 386 or x64 delta for your architecture into the same folder where MX-15 Beta 1 is located
- Open a terminal and issue the command below that corresponds to your architecture xdelta3 -d -s MX-15-b1_386-mx.iso b1-b2_386.delta MX-15-b2_386-mx.iso xdelta3 -d -s MX-15-b1_x64-mx.iso b1-b2_x64.delta MX-15-b2_x64-mx.iso
- Installed Not recommended and not supported.