Here are the migration paths to the current version of MX Linux from earlier versions.*
After migration, the MX version recorded by the system will remain that of your original installation.
From MX-18 to MX-18.3
Update will be automatic through the normal update process.
From MX-17 Final, MX-17.1 or MX-18 RC1 to MX-18
Update will be automatic through the normal update process. Optional steps:
- The new 4.19 kernel will not be installed automatically. If you want the kernel, there is an entry under MX-Package Installer > Popular Apps > Kernels > MX 4.19
- The new artwork will not be installed automatically. If you want the new artwork, install from the MX-Package Installer > Popular Apps > Wallpapers > MX 18 Wallpapers
- There are new grub themes available on the MX 18 iso, although they are not used by default. If you want to try them, they are available under MX-Package Installer > Popular Apps > Themes > grub-themes-mx. The themes will be selectable in MX-Boot-Options
- The Thunar custom actions have been redone for MX 18. If you want the new actions, use the “Reset Thunar Custom Actions ” tool on the Config Options tab of MX-Tweak.
- The lightdm (login screen) has been updated. If you would like the new theme, use the “Reset Lightdm ” tool on the Config Options tab of MX-Tweak.
- There are some new conkies and others have been revised; you can copy them from /usr/share/mx-conky-data/themes to ~/.conky/
- The default backgrounds for grub and splash are new; use MX Boot Options to select those with the word “linen”
From MX-17 Final or MX-17.1 RC1 to MX-17.1 Final
Run dist-upgrade through MX Updater or in a terminal. Optional steps:
- Use MX Package Installer to install new kernel MX 4.15
- Select MX-Gold wallpaper in the usual way: right-click the desktop > Desktop Settings where you should be looking at the default /usr/share/backgrounds
- Launch MX Conky, and note the popup that appears. Click on the link /usr/share/mx-conky-data/themes, open the Default folder and copy Hermoso_sys_mx171 to your hidden conky folder in Home
From MX-17 RC 1 to MX-17 Final
Run full upgrade through MX Apt Notifer or in a terminal.
From MX-17 Betas to MX-17 Final
Running dist-upgrade through MX Apt Notifer or in a terminal will work, but not produce MX-17 Final as released.
From MX-16 or MX-16.1 (or earlier) to MX-17
Not supported because of base shift from Debian 8 to 9.
From MX-16 RC 1 to MX-16 Final
Running dist-upgrade either through MX Apt Notifer or in a terminal, and installing mx-apps and timeset-gui, will carry you through.
From MX-15 RC 1 to MX-15 Final
Running dist-upgrade either through MX Apt Notifer or in a terminal will carry you through.
From MX-15 Beta 2 to RC 1
Not recommended and not supported.
From MX-15 Beta 1 to Beta 2
- Download the 386 or x64 delta for your architecture into the same folder where MX-15 Beta 1 is located
- Open a terminal and issue the command below that corresponds to your architecture xdelta3 -d -s MX-15-b1_386-mx.iso b1-b2_386.delta MX-15-b2_386-mx.iso xdelta3 -d -s MX-15-b1_x64-mx.iso b1-b2_x64.delta MX-15-b2_x64-mx.iso
- Installed Not recommended and not supported.