We are pleased to announce the release of MX-16.1. Images are available via https://mxlinux.org/download-links or from https://sourceforge.net/projects/mx-linux/files/Final/MX-16.1/
So what's new vs. MX-16?
1. Installer improvements:
a. The installer now supports home folder encryption. This is an experimental feature.
b. An issue with partition boot flags that affected certain makes of pc (Dell) has been corrected.
c. Autoinstall now works for UEFI systems.
2. We now have new official Adobe Flash included on the iso, thanks to recently received permission from Adobe. MX-Flash is not on the iso and is now deprecated. Install/uninstall option via the regular package managers, including MX-Packageinstaller on the "Popular Apps" tab. Note our Adobe Flash package will work with BOTH Firefox AND Chromium (includes original classic NPAPI and the PPAPI plugins ie: pepperflash)
3. Tweaks to default user interface, including a new default theme and new MX-Linux wallpapers.
4. MX-Defaultlook and MX Panel Orientation have been merged, with MX-panel-orientation being deprecated. MX-Defaultlook now includes options for "top or bottom" placement of the horizontal bar, as well as improved panel backup and restore capabilities.
5. New MX-Packageinstaller, with improved handling of "popular apps", plus access to the MX-test repo, debian-backports, and the normal "stable" repos, from the new "Full Catalog" tab (no messing around with your apt sources is required!). Treat the "full catalog" as a supplement to synaptic. MX-debian-backports-installer and MX-install-from-test-repo are deprecated and no longer on the iso. (current MX-16 users have seen this update already)
7. Updated Manual in html and pdf formats. Full translations into Italian and Russian.
8. apt-notifier has many bug fixes, right-click menu improvements, and a choice of icon themes under preferences (classic vs. mx16).
9. Updated translations across most apps and in the Wiki (thanks translators!)
10. New MX-Linux sourceforge site for iso hosting.
11. Libreoffice 5.2.6 (64 bit) or 5.2.5 (32 bit)
12. Updates to Jessie 8.8 base.
Plus the user experience you've come to expect from MX-16, including the
1. Automatic enabling of most Broadcom drivers
2. MX-Tools set for help with common or unusual tasks
Live kernal installer (antiX)
Snapshot (make an iso out of an installed system)
Apt notifier (automatically check for updates)
Check Apt GPG
3. antiX live-USB system
Many new Live boot options
Run in Live mode in 10 languages
Easy Live-remaster to make a custom LiveUSB or your own version to distribute as an ISO
Three forms of Live persistence (i.e., what files are kept on the LiveUSB)
Easy "frugal" installation option
Simple creation of custom snapshots (as easy as: add/remove packages, change settings, take a snapshot)
Automatic check of LiveUSB file systems for integrity
Live kernel installer
Live usb maker
4. One-click Extras with Package Installer
Children: Preschool, Primary, etc.
Graphics: ImageMagik, Inkscape, etc.
Network: Skype, Dropbox, etc.
Office: GnuCash, Adobe Reader, Calibre, etc.
System: KDE, LXDE, MATE, etc.
Audio: Audacity, DeaDBeeF, Pithos, etc.
Video: DVDStyler, MPlayer, OpenShot, etc
Flash: Adobe Flash (official package)
Misc: KeepassX, Oracle Virtualbox, Google Earth, Wine (with setup)
Please note that existing users will be able to update to MX-16.1 through the standard update process (notes here: MX-16.1 Point Release Upgrade Notes)
Many, many thanks to everyone that worked on the release, including the translators, packagers, coders, art team, and beta testers. We couldn't do this without you.
Dolphin Oracle (on behalf of the MX team).