A follow-up review on February 9, 2018 by Dedoimedo on a higher-end machine (Lenovo G50 laptop). He covers main concerns from font to software, and concludes: "Good distros are far and few in between, and MX-17 Horizon is truly a magnificent product. Way to go."
Review by Dedoimedo, updated January 13, 2018. Very detailed and very positive look at MX-17. Tests it Live and installed on older and newer hardware. Makes a number of useful suggestions, and concludes: "it's an excellent choice for Linux folks looking for a hassle-free, fun-ready system. 9.9/10."
Review by Jesse Smith in Distrowatch 774(1), published January 1, 2018. Thorough look at MX-17 based on a week of testing. He says that he is very happy with the OS, and that there was little that needed to be changed. His major criticism is that "MX loses out to the big, mainstream Linux distributions is in beginner friendliness," and he signals apps such as the backup utility, the updater and Synaptic.
Review by LINUXANDUBUNTU, December 25, 2017. Good review of MX-17 with many screenshots that focuses on technical procedures. Concludes that it is an "easy-to-use yet powerful that does decent job without including unnecessary software." Also available in Spanish.
- MX Linux Review of MX-17 - For The Record. Matt Hartley, February 15, 2018.
- MX Linux with Compiz + XFCE GUI. Joel Frese, January 1, 2018,
- MX Linux 17 Maybe This Should Be Number 1?. Total OS Today, January 1, 2018.
- My Top 10 Distros Of 2017......Nice. Sneekylinux, December 27, 2017.
- MX Linux 17 Horizon..........A Keeper. Silicon Nubian, December 29, 2017.
- Year end best Linux distro, My Top 5 Picks. Linux & Other Stuff, December 22, 2017.
- MX-17 Linux....A New Contender In The Ring..??. Sneekylinux, December 16, 2017.
- Checking out MX Linux 17 final release. Linux & Other Stuff, December 16, 2017.
- MX Linux 17 (MX-17) Installation + Overview on Oracle VirtualBox . Linux Video Tutorials, December 16, 2017.
- Look @ MX Linux 17 - The Power & The Glory Of Debian & MX. Eznix, December 15, 2017.
Review of MX-17 Beta 1 by Jack M. Germain, published in LinuxInsider Nov 16, 2017. Calling The Beta 1 release "an ideal first-look candidate," the reviewer appreciates the antiX Live system that MX inherits, the combination of standard Xfce tools and software choices, as well as the various MX-specific tools.
Article in OCSMag by Dedoimedo, December 23, 2017. Declares MX-16.x the best Xfce distro of the year, concluding: "This really is a great distribution. Right from the start, you get access to music, videos and gadgets, you can import your live session, the MX Tools box is an excellent addition to the software arsenal, and with blazing performance and magical battery life, MX-16 and its Xfce setup give you the quintessential classic desktop that you want or need. Truly a breath of fresh air in every sense of the idiom."
Video review by Linux Quest, published June 17, 2017. Very positive review of someone who has been running MX-16.1 for a week already. Concentrates on the work done by the Dev Team to make the user comfortable with setup and customization by means of MX Tools and default configuration.
Video and short review by Frederic Bezies, published June 11, 2017. Critical of the use of an old kernel rather than one of the LTS ones available, and of the incomplete localization by default of the major apps such as Thunderbird, Firefox or LibreOffice.
Video tour by ubuntu made simple, published June 10, 2017. showing the Welcome screen, MX Tools, and many other features in some detail.