gdevilspie is a neat little GTK+ app that serves as a frontend (GUI) for devilspie2 that makes all sorts of detailed manipulations on windows very easy. In general, it is used by creating a new rule, describing what you want to manipulate and how it should act. Details can be found under Links, below.
It is easier to explain how to use it with a concrete example than to try to use general terms. The game of Hearts (gnome-hearts) always shows in a small format and lands on whatever workspace is active. That behavior can be changed in the following way:
- Launch Hearts (only running windows/applications will show up when you click Get)
- Launch gdevilspie
- Start the demon if not running, and check box to start the demon automatically at login
- Click the gdevilspie Matching tab
- Click "New"
- Put "Hearts" in the title
- Check box next to window_name in the LEFT pane
- Click the cursor in the box next to matches in the RIGHT pane (you can also use equals if you are sure of the name)
- Click the Get button and highlight Hearts on the list
- Click Apply
- Verify both panels are correct
- Click on the gdevilspie Action tab
- Check the box next to set_workspace in the LEFT pane
- Use the menu to select the workspace you want (e.g.: 4) in the RIGHT panel
- Check the box next to maximize in the LEFT pane
- Verify both items are correct on both panels.
- Click Save
- Click the red Stop button to turn gdevilspie off
- Click the green Start to turn gdevilspie back on
- Test by going to a different workspace than where you want it and launching Hearts