- password issue
- /home partition not mounted
- permission issue
- /home partition out of space
- is password working? Can you log in with “su username”? If not, run “passwd username”
- if you can log in can you see your files in /home (is /home mounted if on a different partition than root?) Check /etc/fstab
- If /home is mounted can you check if the files in /home are owned by your user or by root? Run “ls -al ~/”
- Run “df” to check for free space on /home or root (if /home is not a separate partition).